Re: LI on boot

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Marc Perrudin wrote:

> Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 15:22:00 +0100
> From: Marc Perrudin <perrudin@nerim.net>
> To: debian-user <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> Subject: Re: LI on boot
>
> disciple@exis.net a écrit :
>
> >Ok....  I guess I'll just have to reinstall...  It's good practice
> >anyway.. :o)...
> >
> >thanks...
> >

> If you reinstall, install sarge directly and use grub instead of lilo so
> you don't need a /boot partition.
>

> --

Hi, is it correct to say "install Grub so you don't need /boot part"?

I have used Debian for some years, still newbee, but i've insalled Debian
several times, Woody, Sarge and Sid and also several times with dual boot,
both with other linux dists and windoze. When I first started I used the
/boot part, but this is not nesseserry when installing lilo in MBR. Last
years I've NEVER used /boot. Also when windoze crash and need to be
reinstalled it deletes the lilo boot loader from MBR, then it's just to
boot up with a floppy or cd and run lilo again, jepp, up and running.

I have experienced equivalent problem that our friend her when booting I
got LI and thats it, then I have deleted MBR from DOS, booted up and rerun
lilo,

So what is it with this /boot part?

 /ernst-magne