Re: How do i use a *remote* sound card

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 07:01:27PM +0000, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> I'd like to be able to use a sound card on a different computer as if it
> was local - is that possible at all?
>
> Background:  As many others, I use a laptop. With speakers of rather
> dubious quality.  As it happens, I have another box (my MythTV box)
> which is connected to proper speakers.
>
> So I imagine having a "sound card" in ALSA that really connects to the
> real sound card on the remote computer - and voila, my radio listening
> is suddenly bearable again...
>
> Ideas anybody?

A bit of poking around with apt-cache search turned up the
yiff-server package:

 YIFF is a network based and multi client connection system that
 supports X Window Systems style event and client handling. Internal
 3D sound support and client to server IO wrapper code is also available.
 YIFF is OSS, ALSA, YSound and Y2N compliant.
 .
 More information can be found at the YIFF web site
 http://wolfpack.twu.net/YIFF/ .

Looks like that might be what you're looking for.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that