Re: no graphical login

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 09:51:41AM +0100, Robert Epprecht wrote:
> On a debian sid box I have the following problem:
> When I try to log in (as ordinary user, not root) with gdm I get:

> Xlib: Protocol not supported by server
>
> I have tried to remove/re-install gdm and also to use kdm, it did not help.
>
> If I stop gdm/kdm and log in as the same user from a console I can do
> startx and it works fine. While this would be perfect for me, this box
> is used by others and they want *graphical* login ;-)
>
> Any help very much appreciated,
> Robert

I am not too sure about your setup, but you might have a look at
'/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc', if there is a '-tcp nolisten' option set.
Actually, you might go for grepping for this string over the whole
'/etc/X11/' to be sure. As I say, that's just a guess, if you're not
connecting over TCP, this won't help.
--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred
                 Key-ID: 0x81073379