Re: Wordpress MySQL error

Christopher Nelson wrote:
I just installed wordpress on my box, and am unable to get it to work.
I created a link for it in /etc/apache2/conf.d and when I went/go to
localhost/blog, I get the error:
"Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL which is required
for WordPress."

I'm using the version of wordpress in unstable (1.5.0-1) and have php4
(4.3.10-9) and mysql-server (4.0.23-10) and php4-mysql (4.3.10-9)
installed.  I haven't changed any config files for these, as I don't
know where/how to begin.  A google search suggested commenting out the
check for mysql from /usr/share/wordpress/wp-settings.php but all that
bought me was a blank screen instead of an error.

If anyone has any suggestions or experience regarding this issue, I
would most appreciative for any advice shared.

Did you:
use mysqladmin to create the root password?
use mysql and that pw to create the wordpress database?
as specified in http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress ?

HTH