LI on boot

I believe that I installed debian incorrectly.  I created 2 partitions.

1. Main partition (14000)
2. I used the remaining (1028.87) for SWAP

I think I was supposed to add a 3rd????

Anyway... Everything installed fine (Woody).  I also upgraded to sarge.
Installed with 2.4 kernel.

When I boot, I get LI  ... nothing else.  I can boot with debian 3.0r2 CD #1.

Questions:

A. How do I fix this problem?  I'm still new, so please explain like I'm a
5 year old....  :o)

B. I think that I was supposed to add another partition.  What is this 3rd
partition, and why is it needed?  Would creating this partition avoided
this prob.?

Thanks for all the help...