Postgress 8 cant find "readline" and "zlib" on Debian Woody 3.0 r2 --help

Hi all,

I am trying to install postgresql ver 8.0.1 on my Debian Woody 3.0 r2

While configuring I get the following error

configure: error: readline library not found
If you have readline already installed, see config.log for details on the
failure.  It is possible the compiler isn't looking in the proper directory.
Use --without-readline to disable readline support.

but the

libreadline4 (4.2a-5) GNU readline and history libraries, run-time libraries.

is installed on my Debian as you can see

# apt-get install libreadline4
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, libreadline4 is already the newest version.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
#

How can I fix this??

I donot want to configure postgress using the --without-readline  option

but if I do configure with the --without-readline option I get the error

configure: error: zlib library not found
If you have zlib already installed, see config.log for details on the
failure.  It is possible the compiler isn't looking in the proper directory.
Use --without-zlib to disable zlib support.

could someone pleae tell me how to fix these issues??

thankyou so much

kind regards

Siju

for the config .log relevant parts

----------------------------------

# less config.log |grep readline
configure:5950: checking for readline
configure:5987: gcc -o conftest -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wpointer-arith -fno-strict-aliasing -D_GNU_SOURCE    conftest.c
-lreadline -lcrypt -lresolv -lnsl -ldl -lm  >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lreadline
char readline ();
readline ();
configure:5987: gcc -o conftest -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wpointer-arith -fno-strict-aliasing -D_GNU_SOURCE    conftest.c
-lreadline -ltermcap -lcrypt -lresolv -lnsl -ldl -lm  >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lreadline
char readline ();
readline ();
configure:5987: gcc -o conftest -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wpointer-arith -fno-strict-aliasing -D_GNU_SOURCE    conftest.c
-lreadline -lncurses -lcrypt -lresolv -lnsl -ldl -lm  >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lreadline
char readline ();
readline ();
configure:5987: gcc -o conftest -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wpointer-arith -fno-strict-aliasing -D_GNU_SOURCE    conftest.c
-lreadline -lcurses -lcrypt -lresolv -lnsl -ldl -lm  >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lreadline
char readline ();
readline ();
char readline ();
readline ();
char readline ();
readline ();
char readline ();
readline ();
char readline ();
readline ();
configure:6040: error: readline library not found
If you have readline already installed, see config.log for details on the
Use --without-readline to disable readline support.
pgac_cv_check_readline=no

# less config.log |grep zlib
configure:6117: error: zlib library not found