Nvidia 6600 GT and 6800 video cards and OpenGL apps crashing/Freezing Debian Sid

Hi,
Have others noticed problems with the new top of the line series of Nvidia
graphics cards (6600 and 6800) and Opengl applications?

I am running SId on a Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P Dual AMD MP  Motherboard with a
Nvidia 6600 video card and I can reproducibly crash my PC by opening
KDE Control Center and testing and then closing OpenGL screen savers.

I am using the latest nvidia drivers NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run
as well as trying the debian non-free versions to take advantage of patches
that may have been applied on nvidia news boards.

I am stuck. I have tried debian kernels 2.6.7 through         2.6.10 and tried
smp kernels and regular 386 vanilla debian kernels.

Any one know what to do? I am currently using my machine via ssh, as I cant
get startx without a crash soon after.

Mitchell Laks