Re: Xfree86 taking up 99% of cpu and hanging system NVIDIA 6600 GT video card

Nvidia 6600 GT video card
Nvidia proprietary driver
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P Dual AMD MP  Motherboard
Opengl apps freeze machine.

On Monday 07 March 2005 06:02 pm, you wrote:
> Exactly the same problem on the same setup. I came home this afternoon
> to find X frozen and only a remote reboot would bring it back. X has
> worked perfectly in the past, the only change I can think of was an
> `apt-get upgrade` last night. The packages (dated yesterday in
> /var/cache/apt/archives) were:

Me too

I did an apt-get upgrade yesterday myself!

But I bet that is  not the problem! Listen to my proof.

I am sure it is an nvidia hardware driver problem that is revealed when
 Opengl applications are invoked.

I bet you are using a really cool opengl screen saver :).

Even though I used to do apt-get update/ apt-get upgrade all the time, I
stopped doing it as much when i installed an Nvidia 5950 a few months ago and
installed the proprietary drivers. 66 something

I recently swapped into my system a Nvidia 6600 GT and returned a Nvidia 5950
to my work PC cause I wanted to work with latest nvidia software upgrade for
the 6600/6800 series ( Opengl  float valued textures instead of only integer
valued textures).

So I hadn't begun using the opengl too much. I do recall vaugely that I had a
freeze recently. Then when my PC froze yesterday afternoon
while my niece was "shopping at the gap" on my PC and it recurred when I
showed my brother in law the KDE Opengl Matrix screensaver, I decided it was
time to do an update/upgrade.

As you imagine it did not help.

In fact it is fun to reproduce the problem. Startx/ open up KDE Control
Center/ open any opengl screen saver/ test it/ close it/ open another opengl
screen saver/ test it /CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Often can't even ssh to
machine. when  you can it is 99% cpu usage with XFree86 and killing it does
not help give you back the keyboard.

It is a classic driver problem. Only a kernel driver problem can crash linux
like this. Not usual with a sid upgrade :).

I have tried moving to 2.6.10 kernel -  no help.

OK. Now go to the www.nvnews.net and look in the linux support section. It is
full of people tearing their hair out about this problem. I cannot see a
working solution listed there. I see all kinds of people with problems and
others with no problems. Probably different motherboards or something.

We simply must wait for a patch. I don't know how long it will be.....

If you figure it out. let me know please.
Mitchell