[OT] CVS branching question

I have a project in CVS that I created a branch of a while ago called
'unstable'. Since then that branch has been merged back into the main
tree. It still shows up in the repository but I'm assuming this is
correct behavior. (I have to admit I'm quite new to CVS myself.)

Now I am going to do some more dramatic changes to the code, and I would
like to re-branch 'unstable' again. That is, bring unstable up to speed
with the current head, and then do future changes in unstable in
preparation for a merge at some point. The problem is that every time
I've tried to do this, 'unstable' does not get updated. It is still
showing the same file versions as were there when it was merged.

So is what I'm suggesting possible, and if so, how? (And if anyone here
uses Eclipse to interact with CVS, directions on doing it in Eclipse
would be much appreciated as that is currently my primary means of
dealing with the repository.)

p.s. Since I'm sure someone will mention it (I know I would :) ), yes,
there are better things than CVS out there. Subversion and Arch come to
mind here. But at the moment work has me locked into CVS. (Maybe once
the SVN interface for Eclipse has matured a bit I can propose it, but
for now it's strictly CVS.)
--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837