Re: PostgreSQL (was Re: Accounting package)

On Monday 07 March 2005 03:41, Jamin W.Collins wrote:
> From the limited exposure I've had with PostgreSQL, the
> right management seemed a little confusing.

Yep, PostgreSQL seems to have some password issue.  I gather that they have
redefined one of the password specifiers to have a specific meaning, rather
than to include all password types such as MD5 etc.  I still haven't figured
out why "ident sameuser" or "password" or "md5" authentication fail.  There
is some issue in Debian too, in that most of the client apps are using an
older pgsql interface library, which I don't think recognises the new
password system :(

Mostly, I see people recommending the use of "trust", which basically means
allow anyone (from the specified network/IP) in.  For now, it serves me well
enough, but it's definitely not ideal.

However, even despite that, I would say give PostgreSQL a try.  It's a much
more capable DB, with Object Orientation, multiple language backends, better
syntax, etc.  Most of the important software can use either DB, and if it
doesn't, well... it's good that you're not using the only DB some package
supports, so you'll remember to file a bug about hard-coding a database in
there :)

--
Lee.