an identd for irc

Hi,

I was trying to setup an ident daemon for irc. Can anyone tell me your
successful story?

What I did was:

- istalled slidentd, a minimal ident (RfC 1413) daemon

I choose it because It's a very small and simple daemon that would not give out
 any sensitive information.

- do the necessary configuration (add 1 line to /etc/inetd.conf).

But it doesn't work:

epic4 reports:
*** Checking Ident
*** No Ident response

- I then did a manual check:

telnet localhost 113

and I can see that the slidentd is successfully launched by inetd:

nobody   23088  1420  0 14:18 ?        00:00:00 slidentd

but the respond I get is not good:

6193, 23 : USERID : UNIX : stjohns
0, 0: ERROR: UNKNOWN-ERROR

Instead of "ERROR : NO-USER" I get a weird UNKNOWN-ERROR.

Please help, if you have successfully get an identd working. I don't mind
what it is, working with irc is surely enough.

PS. I've also searched on google, but the only things I found are
frustrated attempts, e.g.

Identd not working
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-23539.html

oidentd / irc
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/291395

I can't find any working example. Please help.

thanks a lot