KERNEL 2.6.10 BOOT PROBLEM

Hi!
I downloaded 2.6.10 from kernel.org,compiled it and made the new links
in lilo.conf
when I try to boot it I get the following problem:

VFS:Cannot open root device "306" or unknown-block(3,6)

Please append a correct "root" boot option

Kernel panic-not syncing:VFS:unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(3,6)

I know the path for root is good in lilo(root=/dev/hda6)

I am not using sata.

I found on the net that I should disable advance partition selection.I
did that.
The support for the file system is compiled into the kernel.

Although I did these things still won't boot from the new kernel.

What should I do?Where is the problem?
Can you help me?

Thank you.