Re: How do you debug samba logons?

On Saturday 05 March 2005 05:25, Adam Porter wrote:
> Alan Chandler wrote:
> > I am running a debian (sarge) server running samba.  Security mode is
> > "share".
> >
> > I have just created a new share (covering /var/www)
> >
> > and I have a /etc/fstab on my client machine with two entries
> >
> > //roo/fileshare /home/alan/roo/fileshare smbfs
> > auto,credentials=/etc/smbfs/alan,uid=alan,gid=alan 0 0
> > //roo/www       /home/alan/roo/web      smbfs
> > auto,credentials=/etc/smbfs/alan,uid=alan,gid=alan 0 0
> >
> > fileshare mounts ok, www doesn't
> >
> > What I need to know, is how do I debug this.  I can't see any material
> > differences between the shares, and I can't understand what seems to be
> > going into the log.
>
> Try removing the "auto" from that fstab entry, then run "mount
> //roo/www".  Maybe that will tell you what is going on.

Done that, and its telling me that the username/password pair is incorrect.
However, I think it is correct, so I need to debug on the server side what is
going on.  I tried setting log level on - but it throws out so much stuff
that is totally incomprehensible I didn't get anywhere.

I think there are different things to you apply to this parameter to make it
do selective logging - but it doesn't appear to explain exactly how and what
in the documentation I have,

The other thought is to change from security share to some other sort (user?)
but I am worried how the rest of my system will react - as it all works well
at the moment.
--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk