Re: adding latex packages

> I would like to use more LaTeX packages downloaded from CTAN which are
not
> available as debian packages. What is the correct way to install them on
> debian? For example I have seen some packages installed in
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex, should I expand my package in the same
> directory? Since files under /usr are handled by packages is it the
> correct way? I would be thankful if somebody could explain me something
> about this topic.

Don't put them in /usr/share/texmf, because texmf "owns" that
directory-- anything you put there could be removed or overwritten as
you install or update your TeX packages.  Here's what to do:

* Edit /etc/texmf/texmf.d/05TeXMF.cnf, to make sure TEXMFLOCAL includes
/usr/local/share/texmf.

* If you modified anything in /etc/texmf/texmf.d, then run update-texmf
to regenerate /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf.

* Now put your local TeX customizations into /usr/local/share/texmf.

* Any time you change the contents of /usr/local/share/texmf, run
texhash to update the filename database (ls-R).

The above is for system-wide customizations.  Individual users who have
private (TDS-compliant) texmf trees that they wish to use can either
just put them in $HOME/texmf, in which case they'll be found
automatically; or else set the environment variable HOMETEXMF to point
to them.  HOMETEXMF contains a :-separated list of texmf trees.  No
trailing // or : is needed.  It can also include the syntax
prefix/{dir1:dir2}, which is equivalent to prefix/dir1:prefix/dir2.

Good luck,
Andrew.