Debian i915 troubles

Dear List,
I am a Debian/GNU Linux user, having sid. I have an i915 (Intel 915)
card, and I still have not been able to get grphics working.

The details in thebug report #257062 say that the Debian Uniklu
packages allow the use of the 915. However, despite installing that
package, I did not get it working (with i810), as my XFree86 logs had
drmOpenFailed messages. I then got hold of kernel 2.6.10-686-2, which
has the i915.ko. I also got hold of the DRI packages from
http://www.nixnuts.net/files/binary . After installing those, I seem
to have got Xorg, and the drivers seem to load, but my glxgears gives
me apoor 330 FPS. Load "dri" and Load "glx" are very much present in
my xorg.conf (as well as XF86Config-4, if it matters anymore).

Here are a few messages from my Xorg.log.0
 (II) I810(0): [dri] visual configs initialized
 (II) I810(0): [drm] installed DRM signal handler
 (II) I810(0): [DRI] installation complete

Could you please suggest some way to get it working?

Thank you.

Kumar

P.S. Is the i810 driver also for the i915? I read it somewhere, though
I am not too sure...
--
Kumar Appaiah
129, Jamuna Hostel,