CIFS is also broken (was: Samba ls problem)

I am trying to migrate from SuSE to Debian Sarge. Curently the SuSE 9.1
(release 145) AND the Debian Kernels (release 13) have broken SMB and CIFS
implementations. In the SuSE case their SMB client cannot even talk to the
SMB server on the same machine. On SuSE I once got a system crash with 4
GByte file on CIFS, otherwise SuSE's CIFS seems to work better than Sarge's.
With Sarge the attempt to read a non-existent file with CIFS (at least I
think so) causes a timeout of 30s. Unfortunately KDE's Konqueror triggers
this problem (it tries to read .directory).

What I do not well understand: Why are these problems so rarely discussed and
why are there so few attempts to fix the problems. It is no solution to
replace something that does not work (the SMBFS Kernel module) with something
else that does not work (CIFS).

Yours Jürgen