gnome-keyboard-preferences settings don't take effect in Sarge

Hi.

I was trying to set up a compose key, by saying right-alt is compose in
gnome-keyboard-properties -> Layout Options, but it does not seem to
take effect. I press alt then e then ^, but I get e^. Then I
experimented and tried changing other settings, like swap caps/control
etc, and they don't seem to have any effect.

I don't need to restart X or anything like that, right? I remember this
(the controll beviour changes at least) working a couple of months ago.
At that stage, I changed caps to be an additional control, and it still
works that way. However, I can't seem to change anything any more.

Help appreciated
Neilen