Re: What's wrong with debian?

William Ballard wrote:
On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 10:50:50PM +0100, Jan Lühr wrote:

What's preventing the sarge release? What blocks it for more than one year?

For what it's worth, I haven't had to reformat/reinstall any totally
horked Sid installs since the fall.  My little world is pretty stable.
It "smells ready" to me.

Ship it!

I don't really understand peoples concern. If Sarge was released tomorrow it would be the
same group of packages sitting there today (relatively speaking).

My point is if you think Sarge is stable (which it is) then go ahead and upgrade/install.
What difference do the politics play? Security fixes are still going into Sarge even though
it hasn't been officially released (at least this is what I've read).

I realize there are other reasons for wanting Sarge to be officially released. I want the
release just so we can start working x.org into Sid.

Personally I think Sid is just as stable as any other distro and the Debian maintainers
deserve much credit for giving us the newest toys at a very minimal risk. Considering the
amount of packages we are talking about, I think it's pretty damn amazing we have as little
problems as we do using Sid.

--
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
	- Albert Einstein