Re: help needed with broken dependencies

On Monday 28 February 2005 06:47 pm, Dani Arbel wrote:
> Michael,
> Thanks for trying to help. Here is the info requested.
> kdelibs4:
>    Installed: 4:3.2.3-2
>    Candidate: 4:3.3.2-1
>    Version Table:
>       4:3.3.2-1 0
>          500 ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl testing/main Packages
>   *** 4:3.2.3-2 0
>          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> Also, how do I use dselect to fix the problem? How do I force upgrading
> the kdelibs4?
> If I try to install kdelibs-bin with apt-get it fails because of the
> broken dependencies

have you tried "apt-get -f install" ?

I think it fails because you have packages that you installed from other
(different) sources.  You could try to remove all of KDE with something like
'apt-get remove kde' and then installing KDE from packages from one source.

I have fixed this type of problem in the past by making fake packages and then
installing the real ones over the fake ones.  I used the "equivs" package for
this.  Of course you will probably lose access to KDE until you are finished.

One other thing you could try is compiling your own kdelibs4 package and
installing it as a Debian package, but you would need to make sure than when
you install it (do this in the configure step) that everything will go where
it is supposed to go, rather than to someplace in /usr/local/

8)

--
sp@mtr@p: croak@shadypond.com