backup web server

I have a client whom I host on my server that insists on virtually 100%
uptime for his website.  While 100% might be stretching it a bit, how is
this best done?  Is it a combination of software and DNS?

I know some sites run mirrors, but that usually involves clicking a link
to go to that specific mirror.  Is it possible to have this be
transparent, so that if person visiting the site fails to connect to the
primary webserver (because it is down), then he/she is automatically
switched to a backup mirror?

I actually have two separate boxes with different IP's, both running
Debian and Apache 1.3.  The client's website is on one box and the other
box could be used if needed.

Thanks,
Kevin