install problem: white console, hang on Dell Dimension 4100

Hi,

I have a Debian 3.0r4 install CD which I'm trying to use to install Debian on
my Dell Dimension 4100, but am running into some problems.  First, when I try a
standard bootup at the boot: prompt (with no options), the console turns white
and hangs indefinitely.  I can type, but there is not prompt or response on the
console.

If I use the "linux video=vga16:off" option, the bootup stays in text mode (no
penguins at the top) and hangs after the message:

init started:  BusyBox v0.60.3-pre .....

I read some help in the install menus and one option for certain Dell's is to
also try adding the boot option "aic7xxx=no_probe", but that doesn't help
either.  I also tried using "acpi=off" and "apm=off", to no avail :-(

The install gets to the "init started: ..." line and then the CD drive spins
down and the machine hang indefinitely.

I have no idea why the install is hanging.  My hardware is stock from the
factory, though I've added some additional hardware, namely:

+ an extra NIC (3Com 3c905C Tornado)
+ CD writer: HP 9250i
+ Western Digital 120 Gb hard drive
+ also using USB mouse

I have no ideas with any of these devices with other OSes I've installed on
this box (ie. SuSE Linux, Open & FreeBSD, Windows 2000/XP).

Any ideas on why my machine might be hanging with the Debian installer and how
I can overcome this are appreciated.  As I'm not a member of the debian-user
list, CC'ing a reply to me is also appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Dave