Re: APC UPS CS500 won't switch on again

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 11:28:49AM +0100, Matthijs wrote:
> Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:28:49 +0100
> From: Matthijs <vanaalten@hotmail.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: APC UPS CS500 won't switch on again
>
> I recently bought an APC CS500 UPS to protect my Debain mailserver
> from powerfailures. I installed apcupsd, configured it and tested it.
 [snip]
> I don't know if it's relevant, but when I execute apcaccess to get the
> statusinfo, the following is reported:
> LINEV    : 000.0 Volts
> LOADPCT  :  21.0 Percent Load Capacity
> BCHARGE  : 095.0 Percent
> TIMELEFT :  28.2 Minutes
> MBATTCHG : 20 Percent
> MINTIMEL : 10 Minutes
> MAXTIME  : 60 Seconds
> OUTPUTV  : 230.0 Volts
> DWAKE    : 000 Seconds
> DSHUTD   : 000 Seconds
> LOTRANS  : 000.0 Volts
> HITRANS  : 256.0 Volts
> (only part of the report copied&pasted)
>
> I find the report for LINEV and LOTRANS odd. I've adjusted the
> sensitivity to 180/266V, HITRANS is then changed to 266 but LOTRANS is
> always 0V.
  Is this report when ups has power applied to it?
  I wonder what capacity your ups has? By it's name I can guess it's
about 500VA, but in that case TIMELEFT value is too long IMHO. May be
you should run ups calibration test.
 [snip]
> Possible explanations:
> a) I misunderstood everything, the UPS is not supposed to switch
> automatically back on again; (I'm definitely a newbee on UPS-es so I
> keep my options open)
> b) UPS is defective;
> c) USB cable is defective;
> d) configuration of apcupsd not completely correct;
>
> Sorry for the lengthy message, but better complete than short. Anyone
> who can comment on this?

  Cannot tell you about apcupsd, because we use nut for apc ups
monitoring. But these things comes to my mind:
1. iirc ups can be configured not to switch on imediatly when power
applied, but only after battery are charged to some level.
2. ups was told to shutdown, not to switch of its load.

 I'd suggest you to run ups calibration, so ups may estimate more
precisely battery run time under current load. Charge batteries.
Disconnect usb cable and leave ups on battery until it switches off by
himself. Connect it to the power again and chech if it will power on
load. So you can tell wether ups doesn't bring on load or it told to do
so.

  Best wishes,

--
Alexei Chetroi

Smile... Tomorrow will be worse. (c) Murphy's Law