Re: getting a KDE desktop after install, not Gnome

Pollywog wrote:
I installed Debian Sarge using a Netinstall ISO and I had one problem when it was all done. It is difficult to do a manual package selection, so I just had the installer install the system, I chose "Desktop" from the list presented by the installer. When the session manager appeared, it was gdm, so I went to a console and first stopped gdm and then removed (purged) the gdm package, then installed kdm. I logged in but much to my surprise, I did not get KDE but got a Gnome desktop. I removed Nautilus but continued getting a Nautilus desktop. In order to get a KDE desktop, I had to remove a slew of Gnome packages, not just the "Nautilus" packages.

What is the correct way of dealing with this? Is the only way to do this a manual install (selecting all packages to be installed)?

thanks

CTRL+ALT+F1

login as root and then:

# update-alternatives --config x-session-manager # set it to kdm
# update-alternatives --config x-terminal-emulator # set it to konsole
# update-alternatives --config x-www-browser # set it to konqueror/etc
# /etc/init.d/kdm restart

CTRL+ALT+F!

and logout as root.

good luck.