Re: find out the primary packages installed

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 07:04 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> BRINER Cedric wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > How can I know which packages I asked to install. Instead of which
> > packages are installed.
> >
> > for exemple:
> > dpkg -l | wc
> > gives me about 1'000 of packaged installed
> >
> > when I just invoke maybe 50 times: `aptitude install <the_package>'
> >
> > In Fact, I'd like to have the list of packages that I install without
> > the one who depends on them!
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Cedric BRINER
> >

> There is no way.

not true. using aptitude you can. although it is probably best to be
using aptitude from the begining when you install all your packages.
that is, aptitude keeps track of which packages where manually marked
for install (packages chosen by you) and packages that are automatically
marked for install (packages installed to fulfill dependencies).

$ aptitude search '!~M~i' | wc -l
289

the ~M means match any package that is automatically installed, the !
before it negates it. the ~i matches all installed packages. so the
combination says: "match any package that was manually installed"
alot of these are from the base install of sarge, i cant say how many,
but i havent installed that many packages.

$ aptitude search '~i' | wc -l
669

and this is all my packages.

-matt zagrabelny