crypto file system

Hi list,
I'm looking for a cryptographic file system to securely store data on a
server, either via something like an encrypted nfs or via a local mount of an
exported nfs share.

I've looked into cfs and although this is in general exactly what we need, it
has some setbacks. First of all, the source seems to be abandoned (which
rises security concerns), second, there are some non-Debian Linux computers
within the network and the support for them is poor.*

Nfs exported crypto loopback seems to be fine in general, but there is a
difficulty with our backup (file backup, all modified files are saved every
day for 90 days, so a 3GB crypto loop would result in some admins coming for
my head).

I've found some other crypto packages, but all of them seem abandoned or
merely a more comfortable frontend to a crypto-loop.

Has anyone here first hand experience with a solution like cfs, where each
file is encrypted individually, that is still maintained?

Second, how would a crypto loop react to concurrent access over nfs? Will it
simply slow down or is there a risk involved, destroying data?

Best regards,
Jonathan

*) No binaries, the source archives are not working as expected and there is
insufficient debug output to even narrow the error in. The documentation
tells "if You are not using SunOS or FreeBSD, You're on Your own".