Re: Hide boot messages

Paul van der Vlis wrote:
Hello,

I don't like that my customers see the boot-messages, warnings and errors when the system starts.

On the other side, I want to use a standard kernel. And shit, this cannot do something like bootsplash.

Is there a way to remove the boot-messages from the screen? Maybe a kernel option to redirect them to /dev/null?

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

Those "boot-messages, warnings and errors when the system starts." are the concern of the "linux console project":

You are not alone in your objections. At "present", meaning at least for the next year and probably longer, bootsplash is the only real way to avoid the messages and then that project walks all over the proposed changes, one of them being multi-user Linux: many users on 1 PC, each with their own keyboard/mouse/monitor.

Simply stated: the area of console support is one of the more ancient in Linux and one of the most central also, causing many problems none of which are easily solved the way Linux development is currently taking place.

So what you want, you cannot have. You have to take sides: the standard kernel won't do it, neither 2.4.x, nor 2.6.x. Pick your favorite patch and hope that the future smiles on you ;-)

HTH