Re: Hide boot messages

* Paul van der Vlis:
> Hello,
>
> I don't like that my customers see the boot-messages, warnings and
> errors when the system starts.
>
> On the other side, I want to use a standard kernel. And shit, this
> cannot do something like bootsplash.

Maybe you could simply use the kernel-source-2.x.y packages with the
default configuration of the kernel-image packages? It doesn't save you
from compiling the kernel, but that's as close as you can get to the
standard distribution kernel.

> Is there a way to remove the boot-messages from the screen? Maybe a
> kernel option to redirect them to /dev/null?

Sorry, don't know a clean way to do that.

You could hack every single init script, but they would be overwritten
on every upgrade and you'd still see kernel messages. Another option
might be to specify some resolution that your framebuffer/graphic device
doesn't handle. At least I had cases, where my framebuffer was
completely black - but X worked as expected. Not the brightest ideas,
sorry.

J.
--
I have never been happier than I am now; a fact which depresses me
immensely.