Failover

Has anyone set up failover scripts on a debian box?

I'm looking at linux-ha.org and in particular http://failover.othello.ch/ but there is no debian specific package. Of course, there is a source package, but I would be surprised if no one in the debian community has looked into this before.

Let me explain what I want to do.
We want to have a failover mail server.
As I understand it should be fairly easy to do the following:
1. Have the primary server rsync over any new info to the failover server immediately. 2. Have the failover server monitor the primary server. In the even the primary is unavailable the failover takes the IP address of the primary and becomes the primary. When the primary comes back on, it detects that the failover is now the primary and the former primary now becomes the failover.

That's basically it.

Curtis