Re: udev

Glenn English schreef:
My system is Sarge with one each SCSI, SATA, IDE (hda), and ATAPI (hdc)
disks. I usually boot from the SCSI disk.

When I boot into a 2.6.8 kernel with udev enabled the IDE disk isn't
there -- not in /dev or in /sys/block -- and when the boot process tries
to mount the local disks, it says it can't read an ext2 superblock on
it.

If I boot a 2.6.7 kernel (too early for udev), all is well. When I
replace the contents of /etc/init.d/udev with "return 0", all is well.
And FWIW, I can boot the IDE disk itself (DeMudi with a 2.4 kernel) with
no problems.

Anybody know what might be going on?
It's as if /sys isn't getting a complete list of all the drives the BIOS
can see. But udev can't do that. Can it?

Maybe the hda device has been renamed to a sd* device? I have seen that before with SATA.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.