Re: Hardware RAID card suggestions?

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Simon wrote:

> Hi There, We need a SATA hardware raid card that will do raid 1 with two
> drives... PCI or PCI-X is fine. Any suggestions?

for hw raid ... for 2 disks .. is it worth the $250 for the hw raid card
??
	- for monitoring, you are restricted to 3dm2 or cmdline
	equivalent to tell you the status of the hw raid

	- 3dm2 does NOT work with linux-2.6.10 ... and i'm not sure about
	2.6.9

	- if monitoring is important, which it is in a raid world, the
	metrics you can monitor and watch is limited to the hardware
	vendor's support

	- 3ware.com cards are "cheap", and you can get $20,000 hw raid
	controllers too :-)

for hw raid ..
	- stay away from onboard motherboard raid controllers
	- i'd personally avoid highpoint and promise fastblah etc

	( leaving only 3ware as the hw raid controllers for $300 range )

	- even better, i'd avoid hw raid all together for lack
	of proper monitoring

for 2 disks ... i think its easy/faster/better with sw raid
	- more monitoring capabilities and options

for more jibberish about hw raid vs sw raid

	http://1U-Raid5.net/HW

c ya
alvin