Sound programs "locking" each other out.

I'm building a new machine to replace an existing audio processing machine.
It's using the 2.6 kenel and the ALS sound system.

At the moment I'm finding that if I, for example, start up rezound, and use
it to play a sound file, even after I've told it to stop playing the file,
any other aplication that tries to output sound the sound card just hangs.
When I exit rezound, the other app starts playing. It's not just rezound I
can replicate this behavior with, for example, graofile, locking out
rezound.

Is thier some way I can work around this?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin