unable to startx in debian 3.0 woody release

Hi all,
I installed debian 3.0.  Installation went ok, considering this is my
first time with debian.  When I enter startx, I get error messages
saying screen(s) found: but none had usable configuration.  As far as I
can see, the /etc/X11/XF86config-4 looks ok.  I tried xfree86config with
different combinations too. But failed to startx successfully.

My hardware: mv540 monitor, riva tnt2 graphics card(8 mb mem i think,
not sure). For anything more, the computer i have is a compaq presario
7000 series model.

part of error message reads..
Total Memory: 256 64Kb banks (16M)
(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
(II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
(II) UnloadModule: "ddc"
(II) UnloadModule: "int10"
(II) UnloadModule: "vbe"
(II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

if any suggestions/help, please..
thank you
VAP