Newbie trying to get audio CD burn to work in Ubuntu Warty.

Hi, I am new to the list and relatively new to Linux. My problem is
that I can't burn an audio CD in Ubuntu Warty and there isn't anyone
on the ubuntu list that has been able to help me with this. I have 2
CD-R, RW and DVD-R drives. On my system, they are located at hdh and
hdg. My /etc/fstab entries are as follows:

/dev/hdh        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 rw,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/hdg        /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 rw,user,noauto  0       0

/media/cdrom0 is listed as: JLMS XJ-HD165H (Lite-On drive???)
/media/cdrom1 is listed as: SONY CD-RW CRX320E

I have the audio CD placed in /media/cdrom0 and the blank CD-R disc in
/media/cdrom1 Both Ryhythmbox and Sound Juicer recognize the drives
and audio disks in them, though I sometimes have to try 2 or 3 times
before they are recognized correctly.

When I try to create an ISO image according to the instructions in the
Ubuntu Starter's Guide dd if=/dev/cdrom of=file.iso bs=1024, returns
the following:

dd: reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 0.014510 seconds (0 bytes/sec)

I have tried gksudo nautilus burn:/// and then chosen CD Creator under
the "places" menu. When I drop Wave files that I have ripped from the
audio CD on to this window and try to burn a CD, the image creation
seems to go fine, when the CD Creator tries to burn the image, I get
the following:

cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive
dependent defaults.
cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
scsidev: '/dev/hdg'
devname: '/dev/hdg'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
cdrecord: Warning: using unofficial version of libscg
(ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1 '@(#)scsitransp.c 1.90 04/01/14 Copyright
1988,1995,2000-2004 J. Schilling').
SCSI buffer size: 64512
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
cdrecord: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Recorder or unsupported CD/DVD-Recorder
found on this target.
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
cdrecord: Drive does not support TAO recording.
cdrecord: Illegal write mode for this drive.

K3B (which doesn't work that great in Ubuntu as KDE is unsupported)
seems to create an image but then gives up with the following when K3B
tries to write to CD:
Errors in K3b progress window:

RAW recording not supported with this writer.
cdrecord returned an unknown error (code 255).
Unknown error 255.
Please send me an email with the last output.

Debugging output:
System
-----------------------
K3b Version:0.11.12
KDE Version: 3.2.3
QT Version: 3.2.3

cdrecord
-----------------------
scsidev: '/dev/hdg'
devname: '/dev/hdg'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Warning: using unofficial version of libscg
(ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1 <snip>).
SCSI buffer size: 64512
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD
capabilities page.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD
capabilities page.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Recorder or unsupported
CD/DVD-Recorder found on this target.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD
capabilities page.
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a29 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
Jörg Schilling
<snip>
TOC Type: 0 = CD-DA
Using libscg version 'ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1'.
Driveropts: 'burnfree'
atapi: 1
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : 'SONY '
Identifikation : 'CD-RW CRX320E '
Revision : 'NYK1'
Device seems to be: Generic CD-ROM.
Using generic SCSI-2 CD-ROM driver (scsi2_cd).
Driver flags :
Supported modes:
FIFO size : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Encoding speed : 322x (24106 sectors/s) for libedc from Heiko Eißfeldt
pregap1: -1
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Drive does not support RAW recording.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Illegal write mode for this drive.

cdrecord comand:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/cdrecord.mmap -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hdg speed=40 -raw
driveropts=burnfree -eject -text -useinfo -audio -shorttrack
/tmp/kde-root/k3bCdCopy0/Track01.wav
/tmp/kde-root/k3bCdCopy0/Track02.wav
/tmp/kde-root/k3bCdCopy0/Track03.wav
/tmp/kde-root/k3bCdCopy0/Track04.wav
/tmp/kde-root/k3bCdCopy0/Track05.wav
/tmp/kde-root/k3bCdCopy0/Track06.wav
/tmp/kde-root/k3bCdCopy0/Track07.wav
/tmp/kde-root/k3bCdCopy0/Track08.wav
/tmp/kde-root/k3bCdCopy0/Track09.wav
/tmp/kde-root/k3bCdCopy0/Track10.wav
/tmp/kde-root/k3bCdCopy0/Track11.wav

Then I tried using sudo xcdroast, but got a message blubbering on
about SCSI emulation needing to be turned on as I have 2 ATAPI/IDE
CD-R, RW, DVD-R drives. Is this the problem that I have with
Nautilus/cdrecord also? I don't get it. I am using Warty, so I
shouldn't need SCSI emulation with kernel (whatever) in Warty which is
at least 2.4 something, right? I am looking at the X-CD Roast FAQ
trying to make heads or tails of it, but without much luck. It seems
like I have to add 2 lines to /etc/modules.conf:

options ide-cd ignore='hdg hdd'
options ide-cd ignore='hdh hdd'

and then add in grub:

hdg=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi (Kernel 2.2.x and most 2.4.x)
hdh=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi (Kernel 2.2.x and most 2.4.x)
or

hdg=scsi hdd=scsi (Kernel 2.4.x only, if the above line does not work)
hdh=scsi hdd=scsi (Kernel 2.4.x only, if the above line does not work)

Maybe I will have to load the driver manually (???):
/sbin/insmod ide-scsi; /sbin/insmod sg

I tried GnomeBaker as well. It also worked fine until it needed to
burn the CD. Here is the resonse:

cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority().
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
scsidev: '/dev/hdg'
devname: '/dev/hdg'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
cdrecord: Warning: using unofficial version of libscg
(ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1 '@(#)scsitransp.c 1.90 04/01/14 Copyright
1988,1995,2000-2004 J. Schilling').
SCSI buffer size: 64512
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a29 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J
rg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an unofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

I hope someone on the list can tell me where I can go from here.

Cheers,

Brian