Re: AAAARGHHHHH - aptitude hosed my system

Bob Alexander wrote:

Mike Kuhar wrote:

Shocked :(

Please help with the first URGENT problem.

Amongst the TONS of things it hosed I have a weird networking problem which prevents me fixing most things.

Name resolution does not work anymore.

Interface is up, I can ping the IP of nameservers listed in resolv.conf and if in apt/sources.list I use an IP I can download the packages. iptables totally flushed..

What package removed could have garbled my name resolution ? I had dnsmasq but have purge it to simplify the picture.

HELP please :(

Bob

PS Writing from my kid's XP machine :(

Is /etc/resolv.conf present?  If so, is it's contents correct?  If not,
create it.

-mike

Mike,
kind of you trying to help. But did you read all of my post ? I said that I can ping by IP my two namservers found in my /etc/resolv.conf which in my mind implies that /etc/resolv.conf is readable and valid (and BTW contains my correct DNS servers for the connection).

Take care,
Bob

Your correct in that I missed the point that you can ping the DNS servers by IP. However, that doesn't mean that the IP for those servers are correct. The hosts you ping'd are there, but not necessarily DNS servers. Since you can't ping them by name, I suspect they are not correct. If an nslookup, host or dig, by name, does not return a valid IP, then the nameserver IP's in /etc/resolv.conf are incorrect. And as Matt said, the resolvconf package can play havoc with /etc/resolv.conf.

-mike