Re: Printer only works with programs using CUPS

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 09:08:38PM +0100, Vegard Lundby Rekaa wrote:
> Hi list
>
> If I wan't to print anything at all, I must use a program wich uses CUPS,
> otherwise the written text on the printer is incompernsibel and nothing of
> the document i tried to print. This means there are some types of files I
> can not print without a major detour through conversion of files.
>
> OpenOffice.org, gpdf and gedit use CUPS, but Mozilla, lpr and several
> others does not, and therefor will not print the files I want. Mozilla is
> set to 'lp@:64' as default printer, I'm not sure about the other programs.
> How do I get the programs to print correctly, by setting all programs to
> use CUPS, or by setting up lp@:64, Xprint, etc....

Do you have the following packages installed?
cupsys
cupsys-bsd
cupsys-client
cups-pdf
gs-esp
xprt-xprintorg
xprt
xprt-common

Mozilla uses xprt-xprintorg to print. xprt-xprintorg ought to
automatically use CUPS to print.

cupsys-bsd is a replacement for lpr and provides replacements for lpr
commands that interact with CUPS for programs that expect lpr to be installed.

You could also check files in /var/log/cups/access_log and
/var/log/cups/error_log to see if print jobs from programs with which
you are having problems are using CUPS and what errors CUPS reports.

--
Jerome