Re: disks above 137gb on woody

On Thursday, 17.02.2005 at 11:13 -0500, Andy Rowan wrote:

> I just assembled a computer to be used as a server, and the woody
> install cd doesn't seem to have a kernel new enough to deal properly
> with a 250 GB hard drive, it reports it as 137 gb.

I dealt with this in the following way previously.  It relies on the
partitions for the main OS install being contained in the first 137GB.
I had a 180GB disk and wanted most of it to be /home, which I could add
as a separate partition later.

1. Install Woody, creating partitions for /, /var, /usr, ... whatever,
in the first few gigs of the drive;

2. Once Woody is running, upgrade the kernel;

3. You should now have a kernel suitable for large disk support

4. Partition your large partitions, add to /etc/fstab etc.

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org
All email from me is now digitally signed, key from http://www.sungate.co.uk/