Re: burning dvd

steef wrote:

hi list,

Hi.

it seems possible to burn dvd's with cdrecord.

Not when I last looked at it.  There were references to
a thing called something like dvdrecord, but it seemed to
require a net connection to the author's server, so I haven't
used it.

but: how do i make a isofile of my raw material?

it seems (guess i am doing wrong something) that mkisofs -dvd-video etc etc. does not work properly:

what should i do to make it work??

and, is the procedure with cdrecord the same as when i burn cdrom's?? or different??

does anybody did this (yes, of course) and with what commands??

> i use sarge, krnel 2.6.8-2-xxx

I've successfully burned DVD+R media with growisofs under
sarge with the 2.4.?? kernel.  It was necessary to set up the
SCSI emulation layer for IDE under the 2.4.?? kernels, but
I've heard that this is not necessary under the 2.6 series kernels.
On the other hand, I recall having read of people having trouble
with growisofs under the 2.6 kernels, and having to use the SCSI
emulation, but you might try without it to start off.

Try googling for it:  growisofs debian "2.6"
There seem to be quite a few hits. <g>

The growisofs documentation seems pretty good, so I'd advise
you to read it.  I could give you an incantation that works for
me under 2.4.??, but I think you'd better read about growisofs
from the author.
FWIW, I understand that growisofs does call mkisofs.

Lots of luck.

Regards, Rossc.