Re: Switching from dynamic IP to static IP

 --- Vegard Lundby Rekaa
<vegardlr@student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:

> >> I'm a newbie on this, and I wonder:
> >> Does this make the IP static also when the
> DSL-company has a server
> >> wich decides my IP. It seems like the dymanic IP
> changes every time I
> >> reboot.--
> >
> > Unfortunately, no. If your isp assigns your ip
> dynamically, you have to
> > use dhcp, which means your ip will continue to
> change.

Indeed, but what you can do is register at
dyndns.org...

This gives you a "name"... ie.
www.mycomputerathome.dyndns.org and you simply have a
clever piece of software on your computer that updates
the ip every time it's changed by your ISP - that way
you can*always* rely on getting to your computer by
using the name rather than ip... very handy indeed.
That bit of software on your computer is called a
"client". For debian I use ddclient (apt-get install
ddclient), but there are plenty of clients to use on
other operating systems too...

Any questions on this, just ask...

--
Matt Johnson