bash colors the Right Way?

Hi all,

Is there a good way to change bash settings for all logins?

I like to use ls --color=auto, and I login as different users, so what I have done in the past is create an executable file called /etc/shellstart which contained:
alias ls='ls --color=auto'
and in /etc/profile and /etc/bash.bashrc i added
. /etc/shellstart

This works exactly as I want, but every time /etc/profile or /etc/bash.bashrc is updated (which is actually not that uncommon) I would install the new file and then add my ". /etc/shellstart".

All in all it is cludgy and a PITA, so I was wondering if there was a better, more correct way to do this.

Thanks,

Peter