Re: Partition and format ??

Hi Alan,

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 12:36:56PM -0500, Alan C. Brown wrote:
> I have read that I must partition with cfdisk not fdisk is this true ??
cfdisk and fdisk do the same thing, they just have a different
interface. If it's your first time, you should go with cfdisk.

> What format are the Partitions supposed to be...?? Fat or fat 32 ??
fat is windows format partition. I suggest you use ext3 for linux as it
has journaling as opposed to ext2.

You should read the installation manual to have a good idea of the
installation process and what options to choose. All the questions
you're asking here are in this manual:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install.en.html
(I assume you run on i386 architecture)

I guess you use the debian stable CDs. I suggest you burn a knoppix CD
and install debian from there, as knoppix will do a better job at
detecting hardware. See here:
http://www.inittab.de/manuals/debootstrap.html

Isabeau Bergeron