Re: Run Levels

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 20:36 +0000, Chris Robinson wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can anyone tell me how to get sarge to load to a shell prompt, and I
> enter startx if I want to run X windows?
>
> On redhat I used inittab run level 3 for shell and run level 5 for X
> windows.

If you're like me, and prefer to avoid mucking with /etc/rc[0-9].d
stuff, You could stick something like this at the top of your [xgk]dm
script:

[ $(runlevel |awk '{print $2}') -eq 2 ] && exit 0

if you _do_ like messing with that stuff, check out the update-rc.d utility. It's similar to
RedHat's chkconfig tool.

-davidc