Re: SSH: Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive)

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 04:11:39PM -0500, H. S. wrote:
> Apparently, _Andrew Alsup_, on 14/02/05 15:08,typed:
> >I'm trying to SSH from one Linux server to another.
> >I can ssh from Debian->Fedora, but not from Fedora->Debian.
> >I can successfully SSH to both servers from my workstation (using password
> >authentication).
> >
> >Server A: Debian Sarge (testing)
> >Server B: Fedora Core 1
> >Workstation: WinXP running cygwin
> >
> >Since I can successfully SSH to both servers (from my workstation),
> >something must be dorked with /etc/ssh_config file or sshd_config (I
> >think).
> >On
> >both servers, I have no customizations entered in the ssh_config file.  See
> >below:
> >
> >*** SSH Debian -> Fedora (works) ***
> >debian:>ssh -v
> >OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 Debian-8.sarge.4, OpenSSL 0.9.7e 25 Oct 2004
> >debian:>cat /etc/ssh/ssh_config
> ># all settings are default (nothing changed)
> >debian:>ssh user@fedora
> >User's Password for Server Fedora: xxx
> >*** Welcome to Server Fedora ***
> >fedora:>exit
> >debian:>
> >
> >*** SSH Fedora -> Debian (Doesn't work) ***
> >fedora:>ssh -v
> >OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f
> >fedora:>cat /etc/ssh/ssh_config
> ># all settings are default (nothing changed)
> >fedora:>ssh user@debian
> >Permission denied, please try again.
> >Permission denied, please try again.
> >Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
> >fedora:>
> >
> >*** SSH Cygwin -> Fedora (works) ***
> >cygwin:>ssh -v
> >OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7e 25 Oct 2004
> >cygwin:>ssh user@fedora
> >User's password for Server Fedora: xxx
> >*** Welcome to Server Fedora ***
> >fedora:>exit
> >cygwin:>
> >
> >*** SSH Cygwin -> Debian (works) ***
> >cygwin:>ssh user@debian
> >User's password for Server Debian: xxx
> >*** Welcome to Server Debian ***
> >debian:>exit
> >cygwin:>
> >
> >When trying to ssh from fedora to debian, it doesn't even prompt me for the
> >password!  Just error.  Any suggestions?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Andy
>

> Does Fedora -> Cygwin work?
>
> On your Fedora machine, try moving .ssh directory in your home directory
> to .ssh_bk and try ssh'ing again. If it works, you may delete the key in
> .ssh_bk and rename it back to .ssh.
>
> This is just a starter, others more knowledgable people will be able to
> help more.
>
> ->HS

Hi Andy,

could you please post the output of ssh's verbose mode (usually invoked
with -v, AFAIK... -V is for obtaining the version number) - that should
give a clear indication to what's going wrong. It would be perfect if you'd
post the verbose output for both directions (debian->fedora working, and
fedora->debian not working). I think I'll be able to help you then.

Jan

--
Jan C. Nordholz
<jckn At gmx net>