Re: upgrading kernel 2.6.8-12 to 2.6.8-13 changed eth0 to eth1

This is a common grieviance of people when they
upgrade their kernel or swap PCI NIC cards.

ethX, where X is a number, gets assigned in order
starting from 0 depending on which physical port was
detected first on the PCI bus. What's happening is
that
eth1394 is being detected before your NIC.

There is no correct solution for this problem, but
different work arounds are available.

1. You can use nameif or ifrename utilities to bind a
MAC address with an alias such as eth0.

2. If both devices are initialized by kernel loadable
modules, then in /etc/modules.conf you can load the
module for your NIC first and then for the other
device.

3. If you are not using modules, but instead the
drivers are compiled into the kernel, it is possible
to  supply command line paramters to the kernel to
bind your ethernet devices to fixed aliases.

Probably, (1) might work the best for you.

Please check out these links also:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/HOTPLUG.txt
http://community.linux.com/howtos/Ethernet-HOWTO-8.shtml

The following is a thread on debian-user which I
started, where I went through this whole discovery
process:

On the debian-devel list, search for a thread titled
"bind eth'X'" -- It's from Jan 2005, where another
soul
had to go through this annoying problem.

... Salman

--- "Jerome R. Acks" <jracksjr@verizon.net> wrote:

> Upgrading kernel-image-2.6.8-2-k7 from 2.6.8-12 to
> 2.6.8-13 left me
> with no connection to internet. After researching
> the problem, I
> finally realized that booting 2.6.8-13 (and the
> 2.6.10 kernels I have
> tried) give me eth1 mapped to my NIC and eth0 now
> mapped to eth1394
> whereas booting my other installed kernels map my
> NIC to eth0.
>
> /etc/network/interfaces reads:
>
> # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for
> ifup(8), ifdown(8)
> # The loopback interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # first network card
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>       address    192.168.1.52
>       netmask    255.255.255.0
>       network    192.168.1.0
>       broadcast  192.168.1.255
>       gateway    192.168.1.1
>
> I could just change eth0 to eth1 to fix the problem
> with 2.6.8-13, but
> the interface wouldn't work if I booted an earlier
> kernel.
>
> A script to map my NIC to eth0 or eth1 depending on
> the kernel that is
> booted is a better solution, but it is not clear to
> me how to do this.
>
> Could someone advise me as to changes needed to
> /etc/network/interfaces and script I would need?
>
> TIA
> --
> Jerome

name=signature.asc