Re: Run Levels

Chris Robinson wrote:

Hi

Can anyone tell me how to get sarge to load to a shell prompt, and I enter startx if I want to run X windows?

On redhat I used inittab run level 3 for shell and run level 5 for X windows.

On Debian, levels 2-5 are identical by default, leaving it to the sysadmin to customize them to his desires.

So, in order to avoid starting X on boot-up, you'll need to disable or uninstall the graphical login manager (almost certainly GDM, KDM, WDM, or XDM). Try "apt-get --purge remove xdm gdm wdm kdm"; that should take care of your issue.

--
Kent West
Technology Support