Re: ssh, Re: free vs commercial

Apparently, _Carl Fink_, on 20/01/05 21:34,typed:
On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 12:37:54PM +1100, Sam Watkins wrote:

Are you still having trouble with ssh between your laptop and tower?

Yes.

Problem has to be in my Belkin wireless router, since I can connect
fine using either machine on a patch cable.  I don't have a spare
router to test this, mind you.  I don't want either you or I to waste
time trying to diagnose it further, either.

er ... I am wading in in the middle of this whole thing, so excuse me if I am mistaken below.

If I see this correctly:
1) SSH from laptop to tower works with wired connection through your router.
2) Same situation, but now wireless, SSH does not work.

Which leads me to the questions: Do you have iptables based firewall running on your laptop? Check that and verify it is set up to allow SSH through wlan0 (or whatever wireless port your laptop has).

Second, I assume you have verified again and again that wireless itself works (you can browse the internet, etc.). To verify the problem is on your tower, you could, if possible, ask a friend who has a Linux machine to give you an account on it and try SSHing to that machine. In other words, does SSH work if you try accessing a machine outside your LAN (maybe to your school if you are affiliated to one)?

->HS

--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.