Re: floppy problem after suspend

Paul MacManus wrote:
Hi,

I'm running Etch on a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop. When I resume from suspend I cannot mount the floppy. When I try to mount, the floppy spins continually and the mount command hangs. After I reboot, mounting the floppy works again. How can I fix this?

Thanks,Paul

Hi Paul,

maybe you can try to unload your floppy kernel module with 'modprobe -r floppy' before suspend, and load it back again after resume. You will for sure have to unmount filesystems before.
If you use i.e 'apm -s' to trigger suspend mode, you can put scripts in /etc/apm/suspend.d and /etc/apm/resume.d to perform that. See /usr/share/doc/apmd/README.Debian for details.

Here is my example for doing similar with my WLAM PCMCIA card:

#!/bin/sh
#
# apmd proxy script for pcmcia wlan card

MODPROBE="/sbin/modprobe"
RMMOD="/sbin/rmmod"
CARDCTL="/sbin/cardctl"

[ -x "${CARDCTL}" ] || exit 0

case "${1},${2}" in
(suspend,*)
  logger -t 'apm' Suspend pcmcia cards
  "${CARDCTL}" eject
  "${RMMOD}" yenta_socket
  ;;
(resume,suspend)
  logger -t 'apm' Resume pcmcia cards
  $MODPROBE yenta_socket
  # ifup ath0 should not be necessary, it is done by the cardmgr
  ;;
esac

exit 0