Re: Redundant mail server

Alvin Oga wrote:

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Curtis Vaughan wrote:

Not sure whether redundant is the right word. Anyhow here's the question:

We have an office in the US and overseas.
The mailserver used by the overseas office is in the US office. Of course, occassionally there may be downtime for the US office. So the overseas office has this idea that we could set up a backup mail server in their office. They would then use the backup mail server should the server in the US office be down.
It's also VERY important that whatever anti-spam/virus measures you have on the primary be duplicated on the backup. Many spammers actively target the backup servers, on the (correct) assumption that due to misunderstandings or just plain laziness the backup servers will be configured differently than the primaries. Additionally, the built-in behaviour of the SMTP protocol is DESIGNED so if a message is rejected by the primary, it will be tried on the backups. It's vital that both machines have identical setups - or you're going to see a lot of crap come through.
--
Daniel