Re: Redundant mail server

On 13 Feb, 2005, at 22:43, Glenn English wrote:

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 22:10 -0800, Curtis Vaughan wrote:

The problem as I see it is this. Fine they have a redundant server,
but
it wouldn't be able to recieve any mail, because the domain name for
the  mail server points to the US office. There is no way that I'm
aware of to rapidly switch the IP address of the mail's domain name
and
then switch it back when the US office mail server is back up.

Define "rapidly". You could set up a cron job to check the local server
every 60 seconds -- and if it isn't up, rsync the relevant email files
to the remote server, change the MX record(s) with sed, and reload the
DNS server. And vice versa.

I agree, but unfortunately I forgot to mention in my original email that the assumption here is that the US office has no internet connectivity whatsoever.