Upgrading to unstable on sun4cdm/sparc32

Hello,

I've been trying to upgrade a few Sparc Stations from stable to
the current debian unstable for some time now without success.
The problem is a cyclical dependency between libc6 and the kernel:

The current stable (+ security.debian.org) only has a kernel image
version of 2.2 for sun4cdm/sparc32. (There is a 2.4 kernel for sun4u.)

The unstable libc6 will refuse to be installed if the machine is
running a 2.2 kernel. The 2.4 kernel image requires the unstable
version of modutils which requires tons of packages which all refuse
to run with the stable libc6.

My best suggestion on how this situation could be defused is that
a new enough kernel-image-2.4-sun4cdm package would be introduced
into the current stable (via security.debian.org or something).
And then information about the issue should be added into the
unstable packages affected. I.e. the libc6 packages should say
"install the new kernel image in stable first, and then change
sources.list to point to unstable."

This problem is not a bug in any particular package, so I thought
I'd post it here. I would imagine that this issue will prevent
anyone from upgrading from the current stable to the upcoming
stable on the sparc32 platform as well.

--
	Aleksi Suhonen