Re: Building a custom sendmail.cf

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Chavdar Videff wrote:

> How do they do this:
>
> The sendmail.cf file is copied and the following lines are inserted in it:

don't modify sendmail.cf unless you know what it does ..
and simiarly with submit.cf

use the  submit.mc and sendmai.mc instead ( 100x easier to understand )

> /usr/sbin/sendmail -q10m -C /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
> /usr/sbin/sendmail  q10m  C /etc/mail/submit.cf

that (submit.cf line) should not happen

> And on a Slackware Box that used to be our mail-server it really works.

good ... see if you can find the *.m4 files to recreate it on the
slackware box too .. if it works again , than do the same thing
on debian
> I successfully appended to sendmail.mc the lines and it ended like this:
> dnl # Default Mailer setup
> MAILER_DEFINITIONS
> MAILER(`local')dnl
> MAILER(`smtp')dnl
> Msmtpscanner,   P=/opt/kav/bin/smtpscanner, F=PSXmnz9,
> S=EnvFromSMTP/HdrFromSMTP, R=EnvToSMTP, E=\r\n, L=2040,
>         T=SMTP,
>         A=smtpscanner

lots and lots of stuff is missing from the sendmail.mc file

> Updating /etc/mail/aliases...
> /etc/mail/aliases: line 13: MAILER-DAEMON... cannot alias non-local names
> /etc/mail/aliases: line 14: postmaster... cannot alias non-local names

means that sendmail(newliases) cannot find  /etc/aliases or
/etc/mail/aliases in whatever directories its lookng for

either sendmail.cf or submit.cf is broken ( or its *.mc files )

> What is happening? And how can I solve this?

get the virgin *.m4  and add your antispam/antivirus filters with *.mc
files
	- just need to add "one line" referencing their package

the sendmail m4 files is in  sendmail-8.13.x/cf/cf/generic-linux.mc
and submit.cf/mc files

	generate a new sendmail.cf with "sh build sendmail.cf"
	and copy both sendmail.cf and submit.cf to  /etc/mail

more sendmail craziness
	Linux-Sec.net/Mail/etc.mail

c ya
alvin